A year and a bit on, we're expecting another little one. Knowing what I know now, especially after starting the Konmari process, I want to re-evaluate what we need for Xiabao.
Baobao’s (Xiaobao's) To Buy List
- Sleepsuits (6 in newborn size, 6 in 0-3 months) - This time, we will probably pick up 6 tiny baby size sleepsuits as well. Baobao didn't go into newborn size until she was 1 month and 0-3 month clothed until 2 months. Sleepsuits with poppers up the front are much easier to use than the ones that go over baby's head. I will also aim to get ones with no feet to use when baby wearing.
- Footless babygrows (6 in tiny baby, 6 in newborn)
- Long-sleeved bodysuits (6-8 in 0-3 months)
- Leggings/Trousers (6-8 in 0-3 months)
- Short-sleeved bodysuits (6-8 in newborn size, 6-8 in 0-3 months) - I would get wrapover style vests for the first few months, as they are much easier to use. Polarn o Pyret do them up to 6 months.
- 2 cardigans in 0-3 months size
- 4 pairs of socks - I would probably get closer to 8 pairs, so you only have to wash them once a week.
- 2 hats
- 2 pairs of mittens
- 2 pairs of scratch mitts
- 1 outdoor hat
Nappies & Changing Accessories
- Nappies - We'll be using cloth nappies as soon as Xiaobao fits into small gNappies. So we should only need enough newborn size nappies for 4-6 weeks. We used Naty nappies with Baobao.
- Cottonwool pads/wipes - With Baobao we used flannels and water wipes and will continue to use these with Baobao
- Lidded nappy bin and two laundry nets - Continue to use the same one as now, but wash every evening.
- Nappy cream - Sudocrem lasts forever. It's not cloth friendly, but only gets used rarely. Only buy one tub.
- Changing mat
- Changing bag
- Bath support
- Soft towel
- Baby nail clippers/scissors
- Bath thermometer
Feeding - Tailored towards breastfeeding.
- Breast pump
- Breast pads
- Nipple cream
- 3 nursing bras - Wait until your milk comes in to buy these.
- 2 feeding bottles - If bottle feeding you will need a lot more bottles. Our steriliser held 6 at a time, plus we would have at least 4 washed to go in the steriliser at the end of the day. 8-10 bottles seemed enough for us for full time bottle feeding with Baobao from 4 weeks.
- Breast milk storage containers
- Nursing clothes - Have a couple of outfits ready for when you leave hospital. It's difficult to know what size you will be. I went from a 10-12 to a 14 with Baobao. Buy more outfits once your weight has settled.
- Bottle brush
- Muslins & bibs - We had a lot of muslins. Looking at my box, I will probably have about 9 for Xiaobao to start off with. We found bibs didn't become useful until much later. Dribble bibs for once Baobao was teething (and a year later she wears one every day) and feeding bibs for once they are weaning.
- Moses basket & mattress - We ended up co-sleeping with Baobao. We will use the moses basket we have from Baobao to put Xiaobao in when we are downstairs, but probably won't have it upstairs this time. Instead we will use Baobao's old cot, converted into a co-sleeper cot, with a sleepyhead deluxe in, to provide that feeling of security.
- Cot & mattress
- 3-4 moses basket sheets - We actually only had 2 with Baobao. We found that they tended to dry quite quickly on our heated airer.
- 3-4 fitted cot sheets - We actually only had 2 with Baobao. We found that they tended to dry quite quickly on our heated airer.
- 2 mattress protectors
- 2-3 grobags
- Moses basket stand
- Swaddling wrap - Baobao hated being swaddled and so we gave up on swaddling quite quickly.
- Cat net - Our cats just avoided the cot for well into the first year. It's only really now that they will venture near her and that's because she feeds them.
- White noise toy/app (Ewan the dream sheep) - Or Stinky Ewan as he is now known after 17 months of being Baobao's bedtime buddy
- Changing unit - We only used this until Baobao could roll. A changing mat on the floor felt much safer.
- Blackout blinds
- Room thermometer (Gro egg) - One of our best purchases, without a doubt. It makes seeing the tempurature so easy, because with a glance you can see if the egg is blue, orange or red.
- Pram with lie-flat seat
- Rain cover
- Buggy board for Baobao
- Group 0+ car seat
- Sun blind
- Baby on board sign
- Smoke/carbon monoxide detector
- Baby monitor
- Childproofing items – stairgate, drawer/cupboard locks, fireguard, fridge freezer lock, window lock, playpen,
- First aid & medicine kit
- Thermometer - electronic ear thermometers are quick and easy to use
- Medicine dispensing syringe
- Nasal aspirator
- Toys and images with bold black and white imagery
- Baby gym