Monday, 17 October 2016

Konmari Challenge Week 2 & 3: CLOTHES

Week 2 and 3 covers clothes. I found sorting through and throwing out clothing quite easy. This is the second time that I have tackled clothing, having attempted the KonMari process once before in January 2016.

In 'The life-changing magic of tidying', KonMari says that it's easier to throw away off-season clothing that doesn't spark joy, because you don't feel like you have recently worn it. The same has been true for me and my non-maternity clothing. Most of the clothes I sorted through today, do not fit me. Most of them are unlikely to fit me for a while post birth and would be unsuitable for breastfeeding. They are, perhaps, the most extreme form of off-season. This made it easy to throw out over half of my clothing.

Looking at the joy sparking element, I realise looking back that I am happiest when wearing dresses. Most of my tops and bottoms did not spark joy. Instead I chose to keep almost all of my dresses and then leggings to wear with them.

I had items in most of the categories listed here. If I didn't have items in that category, or felt it was inappropriate to take pictures (hello there underwear) there are no pictures. I have kept the categories on the list, however, so that anyone reading this can use them too.

All of my clean clothing combined
Tops 
Before
Keep Pile
Bottoms 
Before
Keep Pile
Dresses
Before
Keep Piles - Maternity wear on left/Post birth on right
Outerwear 
Keep Pile
Sleep Wear
Before
Keep Pile
Socks 
Underwear
Bags/Purses 

I kept all of my current bags, not because all of them spark joy, but because for now I find joy in their use. As and when I find bags that replace these bags in their purpose and spark a greater joy for me, I will replace them.
Keep Pile
Accessories (scarves/hats/gloves/belts/etc.) 
Before
Keep Pile
Jewellery 
Gym 
Keep Pile
Swim
Costumes
Shoes
 
Before
Keep Pile 
Maternity
The majority of my maternity clothing was in the laundry during the initial sort through. I sorted through some of the items while sorting through the rest of my clothes and then sorted through the rest as they were washed.

Donate/Sell bags
Keep but unsuitable for pregnancy box
Keep maternity clothes hung up
Some dresses still in the laundry
Are you taking part in the KonMari process? How did you find sorting through your clothing? Does your wardrobe now spark joy for you, or have you found that you have to now buy clothes that do spark joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment