Monday, 26 December 2016

Being Prepared Part 3: The Hospital Bag!

On Friday, we will reach 37 weeks. I'll finally be full term and more than ever before it's hitting home that Xiaobao could get here any time.

With Xiaobao nearly being here, I've been thinking about being prepared. One of the most important things to prepare, is your hospital bag. I received a list from the leader of the NCT ante-natal classes that my husband and I attended with Baobao. Various mum's had added to it. I have done the same, as well as removing some things that after going through this the first time with Baobao, I feel I won't need.

I've split the list into the items that are in the bag now (divided into items for labour and items for my hospital stay) and items that my husband will need to grab when labour starts. 

Hospital Bag
Items to use at home (before going to hospital) 
  • Hot water bottle
Labour
  • Old t-shirt/nightie that makes me feel comfortable and safe
  • Whatever underwear I own that still fits
  • Flannel, to help cool me down
  • Hairbands and hair clips, as my hair is very long and will annoy me when it starts to get in my face
  • Water sprayer with lavender and clary sage essential oils. Lavender is calming and helps to reduce tension and anxiety. Clary sage can make contractions stronger and more effective.
  • Lip balm
  • Sanitary towels
  • Snacks 
  • Fruit juice in cartons and bottled water
Hospital Stay
  • Loose change for vending machine, telephone, TV etc
  • Towel
  • Flip flops to use in the shower & as slippers
  • Pyjamas, as I don't like feeling "free" when it's that time of the month
  • Thin dressing gown
  • Warm, fluffy socks
  • More old underwear that I don't mind throwing away 
  • Maternity pads
  • Toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, hand sanitizer, tooth brush, tooth paste, mouth wash
  • Face wipes
  • Andrex washlets and a jug, to pour water down below when peeing
  • Make up - face powder
  • Nursing bras - I've gone for sleep bras, as I want to wait to measure once milk has come in
  • Snacks 
  • Hair brush
  • Reuseable nursing pads and wetbag
  • Pregnacare Breastfeeding +
  • Going home clothes - something loose and comfortable that goes over your stomach, just in case you have an emergency c-section
  • Wetbag to store any dirty underwear/washing that is salvageable
  • Entertainment - I'm taking a gentle parenting book, but if Xiaobao's labour is anything like Baobao's then I'll be absolutely exhausted by the end.
Items to grab once in labour
  • Medical notes
  • Birth plan, which I have laminated 
  • Music
  • Charged camera
  • Hot water bottle
  • Gaviscon, if acid reflux is still this bad :(
  • Mobile phone and charger

What did you include in your hospital bag? Is there anything that you found helpful that I have left out, or anything I have here that you thought was useless?



No comments:

Post a Comment