Thursday, 5 January 2017

Breastfeeding Survival Kit

Recently, there was a discussion on one of the Facebook groups I am a member of, about a breastfeeding survival kit. The poster wanted to make one for a friend and it got me thinking about what I would put in mine.

With Baobao, our breastfeeding journey only lasted 3 weeks and I want to make a real go of it with Xiaobao this time.


So here is the breastfeeding survival kit I want to put together for myself:
  • Large Muslin - to mop up any leaks, cover my shoulder when winding Xiaobao and to possibly use as a breastfeeding cover if Xiaobao allows it
  • Nipple Shields - it was partially the pain of the first few weeks that made me struggle with Baobao. Nipple shields could have been a way to carry on until the pain subsided.
  • Heat/Cool Pads for Breastfeeding - to help stimulate milk flow or to ease mastitis and engorgement
  • Lansinoh Lanolin Cream - helps to soothe cracked nipples and doesn't have to be wiped off before feeding
  • Easy to Open Water Bottle - it's easy to become dehydrated while feeding, especially as you may only have one hand free. The water bottle I currently use opens by pressing one button.
  • Insulated Tea Cup - so that I get to have a cup of tea, still warm, without worrying about spilling it on Xiaobao
  • Reusable Breast Pads - great for preventing leaks and better for the environment than disposable ones 

Items I would include in a gift:
  • Chocolate - who doesn't need chocolate when sleep deprived with a cluster feeding newborn?
  • Flapjacks - oats are thought to help with breast milk supply
  • Nursing Tea - another item thought to increase supply
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding Book - the La Leche League's own guide to breastfeeding
  • Breastfeeding/Fiddle/Teething Necklace - for baby to grab when breastfeeding. I particularly like these ones from Fiddle De Dee.
  • Information on Breastfeeding Support in the Local Area - the first few weeks of breastfeeding can be incredibly difficult. Without the right support, it can be easy to give up. 
  • Safe Bed Sharing Information - bed sharing is proven to help breastfeeding relationship and bed sharing mothers are more likely to breastfeed for longer. Unicef have recently released guides for safe sleeping including bedsharing
What would you include in a breastfeeding survival kit? Is there anything essential that I have missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment