This week, I have been observing Baobao carefully in the kitchen, so that I could think more carefully about how to improve her access to the kitchen.. I've used Carine's Bathroom Questions to make my own kitchen questions:
- Added an Ikea Bekvam stepping stool, to allow Baobao access to the kitchen counter
- Provide child size cutlery and crockery, such as the Ikea Dragon 3-piece Cutlery Set
- Create a cupboard and section of kitchen counter for Baobao to use independently
- Create a shelf for Baobao in the fridge
- Add a cleaning basket to Baobao's kitchen shelves, such as this one from An Everyday Story
- Add a hook with a child sized apron to the inside of Baobao's cupboard
- Provide a basket of healthy self-serve snacks in her cupboard and in the fridge, for Baobao to put into her Yumbox independently - Super Healthy Kids, Mom's Messy Miracles and Happy Money Saver provide some good ideas.
- Provide utensils, crockery and cutlery on trays for Baobao to access herself.
- Add an activity for her to do while I work in the kitchen
Possible future changes:
- Broaden Baobao's variety of utensils, so that she can partake in more and more food preparation.
Do you have any other ideas on how we could make our kitchen more accessible for Baobao? What would you do differently?