Links are either where I have bought items previously, or a brilliant small business where I shop regularly. I receive nothing for clicking on links, except the warm glow of sharing lovely things with you.
This month, the theme of the Montessori Challenge by Montessori Family is books. We're a book loving family, so this one was both hard and easy.
This week, Baba has been thinking carefully about which books Baobao enjoys the most at bedtime. I've used Carine's Bathroom Questions and these posts at The Kavanaugh Report and How We Montessori to make my own toy questions:
We have had a book corner for Baobao since she was about a year old. Recently, I've noticed that her book corner isn't working for her anymore. Instead of taking the books from the shelf and reading them, she was throwing them on the floor and covering them with her dressing up clothes and rolling around in both.
As a lover of books, I have found this phase difficult. It felt like she was being disrespectful to the books, even though I know that isn't the case. I knew I had to change things around.
- Implement a book rotation system.
- Put away books that have become too easy for Xiaobao to have when she is ready
- Put away books that are too long and do not hold Baobao's attention
- Set up a new book corner for Baobao, with easy to access books and a cozy designated reading area away from Baobao's dressing up area.
- Further go through Baobao's books, keeping the books that are beautiful. We kept some element of fantasy, as Baobao is very aware that animals can't really talk etc.
Possible future changes:
- Continue with the rotation system, slowly replacing Baobao's board books with paper picture books
- Set up a book area for Xiaobao in my room and the living room.