Monday, 5 June 2017

Switch for Six: Week 6 and World Environment Day


This week's post is going to be a little different (and a little late... sorry). Rather than posting about each day, it's going to be more of a summary of the last 6 weeks and, I suppose, a plan for the future.

The last 6 weeks have been difficult. They shouldn't have been. With Baobao, I found using cloth no different than using disposables to be honest. Xiaobao has been a whole different ballgame though. We still get leaks in birth-to-potty nappies. I'm still getting used to changing her more often than in disposables. I also wonder if she'll ever fit into the medium gNappies that we have. If she doesn't fit them by the time she is 6 months, I will most likely sell them. 

I've learnt a lot about myself the last few weeks. I will often put one in disposables, because I feel like I need an easy change to appease the other child. It feels like the easy way out. This is something that I hope will get better in time, as Xiaobao becomes more patient or Baobao potty trains. We are use cloth for more than half of our nappy changes now though, which is better than we were before. It's unlikely to ever reach 100%, but we can do 100% daytime cloth eventually.

It has also made me think more carefully about the rest of our environmental footprint. Today is World Environment Day, so it seems like a good time to make some pledges about how we're going to live going forward.
  1. Switch to 100% cloth in the daytime (saving 3-5 nappies per day from going to landfill)
  2. Reduce our plastic footprint, by taking part in Plastic Free July (find out plastic footprint here)
  3. Slowly switch over to more reusables, such as kitchen roll, plastic free cloths and beeswax foodwrap
  4. Buy less, by doing one gift for birthdays and want/need/wear/read for Christmas
  5. Buy ethical where possible
I know it will be hard, the last 6 weeks have shown me that, and I know we're only one family, but I believe if enough families make that switch, you can make a difference. 

Be the change you wish to see in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment