Monday, 31 July 2017

DIY Waldorf Inspired Perpetual Calendar

None of these links are affiliated links. They're just where I happened to buy our materials




This month, we have been working on making our own Waldorf inspired Perpetual Calendar. Baobao has been really interested in time recently - asking about days and seasons - and a Waldorf inspired calendar, with it's emphasis on the changing seasons and the wheel of the year, seems like the perfect way to nurture that interest.


You will need:


I tried as much as possible to use materials we already had. We already had the Grimms Celebration Ring, paints, marker, stamps and building blocks, and so only had to buy some angel peg dolls.


I started by painting the peg dolls to match the Waldorf colours of the month. Originally it was based on the Grimms 12 Friends colours, but I changed them slightly to match the Grapat Rhythm of Life Perpetual Calendar after that arrived. 

January - dark violet
February - blue
March - turquoise
April -  dark green
May - light green
June - pistachio
July - yellow
August - ocher
September - orange
October - red
November - bordeux
December - brown

I also painted the cuboid blocks to match the Waldorf day colours:

Monday - violet
Tuesday - red
Wednesday - yellow
Thursday - orange
Friday - green
Saturday - blue
Sunday - white


Once they had dried, I stamped the month names on to the peg dolls and wrote the days of the week on to the cuboids. I also wrote the following numbers on each cube.

Cube 1 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Cube 2 - 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2

Then once the ink from the marker had settled, I sealed them with a beeswax/olive oil mix that I use to seal all of my peg dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment